Pages

Recent Posts

Thursday, April 9, 2009

The revolution will not be televised

motivated protesters

I was looking as forward to these protests as I was my next visit to the dentist. But sometimes journalism resembles an actual job and you have to go with the flow, regardless.

I had to run home and file my story before the opposition gave the president an ultimatum to step down in 24 hours or else... or else.... or... um... they would... um... protest more.

While the 30,000 or so people that showed up was 70 grand less than the opposition had predicted, it was still good news for the sunflower seed peddlers that profited from the economic crisis the opposition had blamed on the government.

Quotes of the day belong to former Foreign Minister and leader of the Georgia's Way party, Salome Zourabichvili, who revealed openly what we all knew:

""Many of you don't like those who are standing together with us today, and I don't like many of them, but we gathered to achieve a common goal, and our goal is the resignation of Saakashvili and the saving of Georgia," she said, as reported in apsny.ge. What apsny didn't report was how Zourabichvili and Nino Burdjanadze the former Speaker of Parliament and leader of the Democratic Movement-United Georgia, eyed each other coldly on the stage.

I asked a supporter of Burjanadze, what would happen if Saakashvili didn't step down.

"There will be civilized war," she assured.

When Burdjanadze addressed the crowd she was greeted with jeers, boos and whistles. If this opposition actually achieves its goals there very well could be civilized war within its own ranks.

I think it's time to call my dentist for an appointment.

My story is HERE
Nino Burdjanadze supporter next to a poster that poses the question: "Misha is cool?" in reference to a pro-Saakashvili song that once got lots of air play. (photos by PR)

0 comments: